For this brew I wanted to compare the difference between WLP01 and WLP02 yeast strains. I used the same recipe as my previous brew (API IPA) but changed only the yeast. Well that was the intention.
|Crystal Malt||0.07 Kg (Should have been 0.7Kg -doh!)|
|Simcoe Hops||9g for 60 mins|
|Mosaic Hops||9g for 60 mins|
|Simcoe Hops||9g for 30 mins|
|Mosaic Hops||9g for 30 mins|
|Simcoe Hops||9g for 15 mins|
|Mosaic Hops||9g for 15 mins|
|Simcoe Hops||9g Dry hop for 7 days|
|Mosaic Hops||9g Dry hop for 7 days|
|Citra Hops||50g Dry hop for 4 days.|
|Yeast||WLP002 English Ale Yeast|
All seemed well during the mash until I started to take some gravity readings. Two things surprised me. Firstly the colour was a lot lighter than expected. This was backed up by the correspondingly low gravity. Something was not right.
After puzzling for a while I realised that I had made a dumb mistake weighing the malt. Instead of adding 700g of caramalt, I had only added 70g!
The boil and cooling went well. The gravity into the fermenter was only 1040 but it tasted great. Given the nature of this brew, I figured that a significant amount of dry hops would do no harm. So 50g of Citra was added for 4 days. The final gravity was 1022 which comes out at 3.3%. Resulting in a light hoppy summer session IPA.